The Benefits of Salt Therapy
What is Salt Therapy?
Many Americans have never heard of Halotherapy, a form of Dry Aerosol Salt Therapy. What that means is that pharmaceutical grade salt is ground down, using a machine called a Halogenerator, to 0.5 microns and pumped into the air. With the salt particles that small, they are able to penetrate deep into your lungs/sinuses and begins to break down mucus and fluid build-ups. Salt therapy is especially helpful for people who suffer from respiratory problems.
A Brief History of Salt Therapy
This industry essentially began in 1843 in Poland, when Dr. Felix Bochkowsky, the state authority for occupational health in the Polish industry, noticed that the salt miners he treated had healthier respiratory systems than coal and metal miners, whose respiratory health always led to deadly lung conditions. The first salt clinic was established by his successor, Mstislav Poljakowski, near Krako, Poland. Since then, hundreds of salt clinics have been established across Europe and Russia either in old salt mines or, in modern times, by recreating that micro-climate with Halogenerators.
Salt Therapy Locations in Oklahoma
The Grotto is proud to have been the first to bring this therapy to Oklahoma! While we have now closed down our physical location (plans for the future will include opening a much improved, much bigger concept than what we could have accomplished at Quail Springs Mall), our Salt Booths are still available! You can check them out by mousing over the About Us menu at the top of the page and clicking on locations or you can click on the location closest to you below:
How does it work?
While relaxing in one of our salt treatment booths, customers inhale the dry, salt-enriched deep down into their lungs where the healing benefits do their greatest healing. The salt loosens the mucus, which begins to clear quickly, and inflammation is reduced, which makes more room in the airways for you to breathe.
Salt has the following properties:
- Expectorant: loosens excessive mucus and speeds up mucociliary transport
- Removes pathogen agents (airborne pollen)
- Reduces IgE level (immune system oversensitivity)
Salt Therapy can significantly help to:
- Reduce the need for inhalers and antibiotics
- Make your breathing easier after just a few sessions
- Improve lung function
- Reduce the number of hospital admissions
- Alleviate sneezing, coughing, and shortness of breath
- Clear mucus and sticky phlegm from the lungs
- Increase the resistance to respiratory tract diseases
- Strengthen your immune system
- Prolong remission times
- Improve general health and quality of life
- The treatment's efficacy is estimated at 75-98% depending on conditions
- Enhance sports performance for professionals.
- Increase oxygen flow before a workout our yoga session.
In of trails Salt Therapy (a.k.a. "halotherapy") has proven to e effective in relieving symptoms of a variety of respiratory and skin ailments. During one of the clinical trials, Salt Therapy resulted in improvement of the clinical state in:
85% of mild and moderate asthma cases
75% of chronic bronchitis, bronchiectasis, and cystic fibrosis cases
("Journal of Aerosol Medicine, A.V. Chervinskaya, Volume 8. Number 3, 1995")
Additional studies can be found here: